Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

If the Shoe(box) Fits . . . Be a Good Samaritan!

It's the Giving Season, y'all! That's right, I'm up on my soapbox, er, shoebox and I've got a message I think very worth sharing. Samaritan's Purse is a very cool charity that takes the message from the Gospel of Luke - the story of the Good Samaritan, you know the one: Jesus tells his followers to help those in need, whomever and wherever they are. You can learn all about them and about this special holiday effort here:
Samaritan's Purse: Pack a Shoebox!!

If you are interested, you can do what some friends of mine and I are doing - and what one very ambitious cousin of mine, my namesake Ella Neal, who along with her church is doing, a slew of shoe boxes - and pack up a box or two for a boy or girl who'll be thrilled to get it this season. Pick an age category (2-4, 5-9 or 10-14) and follow the printable instructions on the website as to what to pack and how to get it off to the right hands. Search by zip code to find a drop-off location during this "giving week" (November 15-22) or look for the address you can mail your box(es) to, and how to include the small donation ($7) to cover costs for Samaritan's Purse and participating churches and missions. It's not just because I love shoes, or because this is an economically feasible way for me to give this year, but something about this neat charity and their message really spoke to me. I think my 10-14 year old girl will be happy with what "Carrie Neal Land" came up with for her!!

It's a small thing, I know, but it was fun to do and feel part of something good and big. Speaking of, I found a great card that showed a "manger scene" of doggies with a very Big-like baby Jesus that was too cute to pass up - and included it as a note with my card, as the project guidelines suggest you do with your box. Maybe my girl will be inclined to write back and I'll have a pen pal, who knows? Whatever happens, and if you decide to participate, too . . . I hope you have a happy holiday season as it gets underway, goes along, and moves into the New Year. Best to you and yours!

As Always,
Carrie Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment